You'd never guess that these mashed potatoes don't have ANY cream and hardly any butter. This is a healthy take on a classic and comforting side dish that I hope you try.
Mashed Garlic Red Potatoes with Coconut MilkPrep + Cooking Time:
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 pound Red potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 large Sweet onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 (13.5 ounce) can of Full fat coconut milk (including some of the coconut cream in the top of the can, if possible)
- 1 small pat of Grass fed butter OR 1 teaspoon of Ghee
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Chives or parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Fill a large saucepan a little over half way with water. Add a generous amount of salt to the water.
- Add red potatoes and onions to the salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Cook until potatoes are fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, bring a small skillet to medium heat, and add about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add minced garlic and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and butter or ghee to the garlic in the small skillet and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until the liquid reduces some.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, strain them in a colander and then return the potatoes back to the original saucepan.
- Add in coconut milk and garlic mixture to the potatoes, and season with a generous amount of salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a potato masher (or a fork), mash the potatoes until desired texture. I like mine just a little chunky!
- Optional: mix in fresh herbs of choice.
- Enjoy warm with your favorite entree.